It’s healthy to have an updated resume on hand in case new opportunities arise.
Is it time to look for new job possibilities? Even if you’re happy with your current job, it’s still smart to have your physician assistant resume updated and on hand in case an opportunity arises.
Not sure where to start? Our first resume tip is to make sure your physician assistant resume is well formatted. Hiring managers are often inundated with resumes and will naturally spend more time on the ones that are easy to read. Add clearly defined sections to organize your information and bullet points to emphasize the key takeaways—your core competencies and your qualifications. Limit yourself to one paragraph—your physician assistant resume objective or professional summary.
Using targeted keywords in your physician assistant resume skills section or professional experience section will also put your resume at the head of the class. Before it’s seen by human eyes, your resume will be analyzed by automated screening software, which is now standard for most recruiters and large employers. The way to get past this software is by using the right keywords. To get started, read the job ad to see what words the employer is using and match that wording in your resume. For example, say you want to highlight that you’ve worked in a busy clinic. If a job ad mentions a “high-volume location,” use that verbiage instead of “busy.” Simple, but powerful advice, for today’s job market.
Start with the template below and adapt it to your needs—it’s a good starting place for an entry-level physician assistant resume (pay attention to that education section!), for a dermatology physician assistant resume, or for any other speciality.
Physician Assistant Resume
MARK WELLER, PA-C
Billings, MT 00000 | (555) 555-5555 | [email protected] | linkedin.com/mark.weller
National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) Board-Certified | Montana Licensed Physician Assistant
Compassionate and Competent Physician Assistant with XX+ years of experience delivering patient-centered care in outpatient and mobile primary care settings. Models exceptional standards of care and integrates a holistic approach to assessment, diagnostics, and treatment. Achieves positive patient outcomes by implementing innovative population-based programs, empowering patients as active participants in health planning, and diligently tracking patient/surveillance data. Skilled at assisting multiple physicians with all levels of care, including surgical procedures, complex/multi-system treatment plans, and routine health and wellness examinations.
Patient Assessment | Diagnostic Testing | Differential Diagnosis | Medical History Review | Medication Prescription | Primary Care
Comprehensive Care Plans | Lab Test & Imaging Interpretation | Physical Examinations | Population Health | Pain Management
Clinical Nutrition | Evidence-Based Practice (EBP) | Reporting & Documentation | Electronic Health Records (EHR)
Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) • Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT • OUTPATIENT CLINIC
Facility One | Billings, MT | XX/20XX – XX/20XX
Medically manage patient care in a high-volume outpatient clinic providing quality health services for pediatric through adult individuals with acute and chronic orthopedic, medical, infectious disease, and mental health conditions.
- Build trust and develop long-term rapport by listening attentively to chief complaints and encouraging patient/caregiver active participation in care plan development for a daily caseload of ~25 to 35 patients.
- Assist four physicians with minor surgeries and shift priorities to conduct routine treatments, administer urgent care, and perform diagnostic testing, including ordering/interpreting lab/imaging tests, stitching wounds, and administering medications.
- Promote efficient clinic flow by skillfully multitasking to triage and treat patients, conducting competent and organized physical assessments and medical history reviews, and utilizing support staff effectively.
- Improve access to care for patients in several rural areas by collaborating with multidisciplinary providers and vendors to provide one-stop care, telehealth services, and monthly mobile visits for treatment follow-ups and screening.
- Strengthen clinical and professional skills of future physician assistants by managing the clinic’s internship program and mentoring ~15 annual students, including overseeing university affiliation agreements and evaluating performance.
PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT • COMMUNITY HEALTH
Facility Two | Laurel, MT | XX/20XX – XX/20XX
Provided clinical health, wellness, and prevention services in a state-funded primary care facility with multiple special population programs, including diabetes, women’s health, baby/child, and behavioral health.
- Developed and implemented holistic care plans to address physical, psychosocial, spiritual, and cultural needs of pediatric and adult patients, including partnering with public health and community organizations to secure essential resources and services.
- Prevented the spread of disease, promoted positive outcomes, and met public health mandates by providing immunizations, screening for infectious diseases, educating patients, and maintaining updated patient databases/surveillance systems.
Master of Physician Assistant Studies (MPAS) | University One
Bachelor of Science in Biology, Minor in Chemistry | University Two
Ready to write your own? Here’s a link to download this physician assistant resume in Word.
The job outlook for physician assistants is outstanding, with the Bureau of Labor Statistics projecting job growth of 31% over the next decade.
Monster research shows the median physician assistant salary is $96,223. But that number might look different for you depending on how many years you’ve worked and where you’re located. You can use Monster’s Salary Tool to look up the pay range for physician assistants in your city.
Keep in mind that pay might be better in areas where physician assistants are in high demand, including:
You can also take a look at all physician assistant jobs on Monster to find the best fit.
Monster Can Give Your Physician Assistant Resume a Shot in the Arm
If you can’t find the time to get your resume ready, Monster can help with a physician assistant resume review from an expert. Our professional resume writers are experts in keyword technology and design. While you’re on call or running between office hours and hospital rounds, they can put together a clean, well-written, and effective physician assistant resume for you. Sign up with Monster Resume Services to get your resume in great shape for any opportunity that comes your way.