Join our team as the Park-Wide Mechanical Systems Technician in Yellowstone National Park!
The Mechanical Systems Technician is a full-time, year-round position located in Yellowstone National Park and based out of the offices in Mammoth Hot Springs. This position reports directly to the Facilities Maintenance and Operations Manager. This position is responsible for the proper operation, maintenance and repair of all Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) systems in Xanterra-operated facilities including associated Building Automation Systems (BAS). If you have a passion for nature and want to be a part of a great Engineering Team, this may be a great opportunity for you!
- Position Type: Full Time Year Round
- Schedule: ~40+ Hours Per Week
- Location: Mammoth area of Yellowstone National Park
- Housing: Housing is not guaranteed for this position; employee may need to secure housing in Gardiner, Emigrant or Livingston, MT
The Must Haves
- Valid Driver’s License and a clean driving record
- Must be at least 21 years old
- Must be capable and willing to participate in the company’s respiratory protection program.
- Healthcare benefits
- Paid vacation
- Sick Time
- Xanterra Travel Collection discounts
Why Yellowstone National Park Lodges
We are a welcoming community who work hard, share a real passion for the environment, and enjoy crafting memorable experiences for our guests. As part of the Xanterra Travel Collection, we are the primary authorized concessioner in Yellowstone, and as such, we are proud stewards of the park.
To learn more about living, working, and exploring Yellowstone, check out our website.
- Develop and provide HVAC and BAS operating, troubleshooting, maintenance and repair training for location maintenance personnel.
- Assist in the development, periodic review and continuous improvement of HVAC and BAS System Planned Maintenance (PM) procedures.
- Coordinate with location maintenance Storekeepers and the Repair/Maintenance Purchasing Agent to ensure appropriate inventory levels of HVAC and BAS parts and supplies are established and maintained.
- Ensure HVAC and BAS installations, repairs and replacements accomplished by Xanterra staff or electrical contractors meet applicable codes and functional requirements.
- Provide the physical and technical skills necessary for diagnostic, maintenance, repair and replacement of building HVAC and BAS systems throughout Xanterra-operated facilities associated with YNP.
- Document repair parts and inventory usage, labor & materials expended and asset management actions in the company’s Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS).
- Provide assistance and oversight of the cyclic opening and closing of buildings, specifically the proper startup, shut-down and lay-up of building HVAC systems.
- Represent the Engineering Department as our HVAC and BAS technical expert in dealings with vendors, contractors, engineers, the National Park Service, as well as with internal Xanterra Operations Department customers.
- Assist with the in-house review, comment and inspection of HVAC and BAS designs, proposals and installations.
- Assist with the recruitment, interview, selection process and technical support for location Mechanical Technicians.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Proficient in the operation, troubleshooting and repair of HVAC systems to include but not limited to: Steam heat systems, steam traps, hydronic heat systems, radiators, heat exchangers, evaporative cooling, chillers, VFDs, thermal load calculation, airflow calculation, combustion analysis, motor and fan alignment, pump sizing.
- Proficient in the operation, troubleshooting and repair of BAS/BMS systems to include but not limited to: alarm management, user administration, control circuit troubleshooting, network troubleshooting, sequence verification, safety codes as they relate to equipment operation.
- Proficient in the use of tools, materials and diagnostic equipment common to the HVAC and BAS trades.
- Possess a working knowledge of applicable codes and OSHA regulations.
- Proficient in the use of software including: Microsoft Office, Johnson Control’s Metasys, ATS Compass, Automated Logic WebCTRL and demonstrate the capability to quickly develop proficiency in company and department-specific software.
- Possess the interpersonal skills required to cooperate and effectively communicate with staff and management from other departments, the National Park Service, contractors and YNP guests.
- Be capable of walking long distances over uneven terrain and climbing stairs and ladders in all types of weather conditions and capable of lifting objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Possess the physical stamina and conditioning required to work in an outside, high-altitude environment, in confined spaces, at height, and or in mechanical room spaces where high levels of noise and heat may exist.
- Be capable of standing, bending, kneeling and crawling.
- Must be able and willing to drive a service vehicle through wilderness areas between developed areas of the Park in variable driving conditions.
- Must be able and willing to respond to after-hours and off-shift service requests.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status