Use our law school resume template to apply to internships, clerkships, and summer associate jobs.
Getting into law school is an accomplishment worth celebrating. Now that you’ve spent countless hours hitting the books, you need to gain hands-on experience in a courtroom or law firm. With so much competition, getting a top internship, clerkship, or summer associate job can be a challenge. But a strong law school resume will increase your chances of being selected for an interview.
A law school resume needs to contain key details about your core competencies, educational background, and professional experience. Employers in the law field look for candidates who have extensive knowledge of federal and local law, analytical skills, and the ability to interpret complex legal documents. Employers also value good communication, organizational, and research skills.
Take a look at our sample law school resume to learn how to feature these skills prominently in your own resume.
Law School Resume Sample
Chicago, IL 00000 | (555) 555-5555 | [email protected] | linkedin.com/JohnJones
Ambitious L2 Law Student with Exceptional Research & Writing Skills
Legal Intern – Summer 20xx
Ambitious L2 Law Student who contributes exceptional professional skills from a career requiring tenacity, resilience, and creativity to achieve ambitious goals and deliver high-impact results for clients. Leverages precise legal research and writing skills to compose documents without templates and produce insightful oral arguments for litigation cases. Capably assists multiple attorneys in all aspects of case management. Builds professional rapport by confidently communicating with judicial staff, opposing counsel, and clients.
Legal Research & Writing | Contract Reviews | Brief, Pleading, Memorandum Drafting | Case Analysis | Commercial Litigation
Client Advocacy | Court Correspondence | Electronic Filing (e-filing) | Oral Argument Development | Negotiations
Professional Communication | Ethical Standards | Westlaw | LexisNexis | Microsoft Office
Juris Doctor (J.D.) │ University One │ GPA: x.x/4.0 | Expected 20xx
Notable Achievements: List awards, professional group involvement, Moot Court, Law Review, scholarships, etc.
Relevant Coursework: Civil Procedure, Administrative Law, Legal Research and Writing, Property, Torts, Constitutional Law, Corporations, Wills and Trusts, Criminal Law, Litigation, Ethics, Professional Responsibility
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science | University Two | GPA x.x/4.0 | 20xx
Law Firm One | Chicago, IL | xx/20xx – xx/20xx
- Multitasked to assist five attorneys in a busy commercial litigation firm with all aspects of discovery, trial preparation, court correspondence, and document development.
- Researched case law and drafted memoranda, pleadings, briefs, contracts, requests to produce, interrogatories, and other legal documents for six ongoing litigation cases involving multimillion-dollar enterprise corporations.
- Leveraged technology proficiency to implement optimized client database workflow, independently produced timely research using LexisNexis and Westlaw, and quickly mastered e-filing processes.
- Formulated and implemented a digital checklist to streamline new client intake interviews and swiftly compile relevant data.
Company One | Chicago, IL | xx/20xx – xx/20xx
- Managed an $800K+ sales portfolio of 60+ small and midsize manufacturing clients, including generating leads, negotiating contracts, analyzing business needs, and coordinating product training.
- Acquired 11 new clients in first six months, resulting in $50K of immediate revenue and year-over-year growth.
- Exceeded lead conversion metrics by 3%+ each month by modeling personalized communication, aligning pain points with product solutions, and conducting diligent follow-up using social media, email, phone, and in-person visits.
Company Two | Chicago, IL | xx/20xx – xx/20xx
- Recruited, trained, supervised, and evaluated performance of 20+ volunteers executing administrative and event support tasks for a three-month student program.
- Researched and ensured compliance with local, state, and regional regulations related to volunteer screening, allocation, and rights/responsibilities while working with participants from diverse populations.
Here’s the download link for this law school resume template.
Ready to search for an internship, a clerkship, or a summer associate job? Start here:
Or, search for all legal jobs on Monster to get a sense of what’s available for law school students.
You can start getting paid for your law expertise while gaining first-hand experience and making invaluable connections. Find out the median salary for people with your job title in your city or the city you want to move to by using Monster’s Salary Estimator. Just enter the job title and location into the search fields to learn more.
Want to Affirm Your Career Success? Get Monster on the Case
Presenting your accomplishments, awards, skills, and knowledge in one comprehensive, professional document can be a challenge. Once you’ve drafted a preliminary law school resume, let the experts at Monster give it a second look. Our certified resume writers will amend your resume to ensure it contains all the keywords law firms look for. They’ll also design your resume to highlight important information in an organized, easy-to-skim format, setting a clear precedent that you can follow for the rest of your career.